Saturday, February 21, 2009

Getting a little tired of the zoo...


Don't get me wrong, we've really enjoyed our zoo membership this past year. Our frequent visits have been fun, and I've enjoyed having the freedom to make it a short visit if we want. Sareny loves riding her bike there, and the kids are able to work off some energy when we go.

Not to mention all of the cute photo ops the zoo has provided us with.
That being said, however, it seems to me that the novelty of the zoo is beginning to wear off for the kids. On our most recent visit we saw the snakes, frogs, and orangutans, then pretty much just hit a few of the play areas, and I'll admit I felt a little bit bored. I was surprised to note, however, that the kids seemed a little bored as well.

So, I'm considering taking a year off from the zoo, but it would be nice to have a membership somewhere else. I'm certain there are many other places or outings we would enjoy--I just don't know what they are. Any ideas out there?
P.S. As an aside that has nothing to do with the zoo, I feel I must make the following disclaimer in case you noticed the getup that Sareny is wearing: She dressed herself and resisted all efforts, subtle and otherwise, to wear something else. She has a drawer full of adorable jeans that I bought her, and for some reason she will not wear them. I really don't know what to do--she is back to only wanting to wear dresses or stretchy pants. (She wore a very frilly dress to Walmart today.)

10 comments:

cassidy said...

What about that science center we went to one time in Phoenix? It seemed kind of fun.

Maylene said...

We are taking a year off from the zoo as well...actually I usually only do every other year (for the same reasons). This time we bought a pass for the Children's Museum in Phoenix. It is super fun and your kids would LOVE it! Let me know if you ever decide to go :)

Jolynn said...

Well
Sareny has had a mind of her own concerning her clothes since she was old enough to talk, maybe even before then and we just did't know what she was crying about......... so I think you are doomed to take her to Walmart in frilly dresses! But hopefully she will gradually develop an idea for what is appropriate. Ya gotta love her though!

James the Bames said...

Like it or not Hillari, the 80s are back. You might as well embrace Sareny's stretchy pants/loose t-shirt combo, just like your mom probably had to do when you were in middle school.

Krystal said...

Carmen wont ever wear jeans, just stretchy pants. and i have no ideas about passes or activities. im a lame mom. we dont go out.

Maylene said...

Well...it is...but I think if you go 4-5 times it pays for itself. You can go the first time (and if you like it you can apply the ammount spent that day towards a pass, but you have to buy it at the end). I think your kids are the perfect ages. Seriously, it is one of the coolest places. It is sometimes kind of busy in the mornings, but barely anyone is there in the afternoons so sometimes we go around lunch time and bring a sack lunch and then play there in the afternoon :)

Christina Overton said...

I can see how going to the zoo could get a little old over time. Hope you find an exciting new place to go!

Lexi said...

very cute pictures of the kids. i dont really have any good ideas for memberships. sareny is so funny wearing stretchy pants and dresses.

Marcie Osborn said...

Be lucky to have a zoo, especially one close by! We have to travel to Seattle or Portland. I think the kids have only been to the zoo a handful of times. But I understand how it would get old. Check out all the parks near and far. I'm so jealous sereny is wearing a t-shirt with no coat. We still have snow on the ground!

Sarah & Eddie said...

Yeah, I get tired of the zoo real fast myself. And as far as sarenys clohing...Kaylee is the same way. It drives me wild, but i have given up...