Monday, March 21, 2011

How Can One Possibly Look at a Book With No Pictures in it?

Last week was Sareny's spring break and Keith took the week off so we could have some family time. We didn't have anything major planned, and a lot of the week was just spent chillaxin'. (Wish I was doing that right now instead of listening to the kids possibly committing a capitol offense in the next room...)
On Monday we went to a matinee showing of Mars Needs Moms. Maybe it's because I had pretty low expectations, or maybe it's because I just came off of seeing Rango, a real stinker in my opinion, but I quite liked Mars Needs Moms. It was much more engaging and fun than the previews made it look.
On Tuesday we celebrated an early St. Patricks day and a late pi day and invited some new friends over for corned beef and cabbage and key lime pie. We capped the evening off with some Ticket to Ride (thanks, Shauntel, for introducing that one to us years ago.)
On Wednesday we met friends from our old ward at a park and had a lot of fun catching up with everyone. As the Beehive advisor in our new ward, I also attended the YW campout at one of the leaders' homes that evening. It was a lot of fun with good food and good conversation. We set up a screen outside and watched the movie Forever Strong, which was pretty good. The girls all ooed and aahed over the main character, who was so obnoxious the first half of the movie that I didn't care what he looked like, I wanted to slap him.
Thursday we ran a few errands and ended the evening with dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the BYU basketball game. Fun, even with kids. :)
Friday we went camping with some other new friends at Estrella Mountain Park, which is quite literally 10 minutes from our house. But it was actually super fun, and the kids especially loved having friends there to hang out with. The campground has a fun playground and had more trees than I expected as well. The weather was perfect, and I think we all had a good time.
Saturday we bummed around most of the day recovering from our one night camping trip...(what is wrong with us?) then went to some friends' house to watch the BYU game. Parents happy--visiting with friends and a good game. Kids happy--playing with friends and don't have to sit in a restaurant and watch BYU game. In case you're wondering--we don't get any TV channels, so watching the game from the comfort of our living room is not an option. And yes, somehow we are surviving without TV.

7 comments:

Gardner Family said...

I wish we had gone to Mars Needs Moms instead of Gnomeo and Juliet. I had already been warned that Rango wasn't so good, though I've heard reviews to the copntrary also. Kind of makes me want to see it just to see what category I'd fit into, but I think I'll wait 'til it comes out on video.

So, are you related to our area authority George Keel? He spoke at conference and I started to wonder if he's a relation of yours.

Sounds like you had a fun spring break. :)

Gardner Family said...

Correction: I meant contrary instead of copntrary. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I keep up with your blog through Alayna's and am always glad your family is well. Whats up with the pictures? I need pictures, I am visual :) take care!
Jewlee (brandon's sister)

Lexi said...

sounds like a fun spring break! one night camping trips are the best kind. im glad you keep up with byu basketball.

Liz said...

Hey Hilli, that sounds like a lot of fun. I love camping. I can't wait till I'm brave enough to try it with Charlie. Did Finny do okay?

cassidy said...

Jeez, what a jam packed week! I'd be tired by Saturday too. It sounds like you did lots of fun stuff. Lots of time with friends!

I've seen Forever Strong too, and I agree, that kid was super bratty. Enough to make me pretty disinterested in how things turned out for him in the end.

Also, I'm glad you're surviving without TV. We ended up not missing it at all, except times like the Superbowl and the Olympics. I'm sure you feel the same way. Now that we have TV again we don't watch it at all.

Kandice and Rob said...

Sounds like a fun spring break!