Thursday, September 25, 2008

When daddies are in charge, and other stuff

Sareny is in a preschool this year with some of her friends. One morning last week I had a Dr. appointment, so Keith stayed home with the kids and dropped her off at preschool. When I picked her up afterwards, this is what I found.
It was immediately clear to me that she had been getting into my mascara before Keith took her. Apparently this was not so obvious to daddy. I wonder what her teacher thought...

She looked a little too happy about things when I took her picture, so I told her she should try to look sad.
On Thursdays I pick up her friend Ty to take him to preschool. I have really enjoyed listening in on their conversations as we drive. Today:
Sareny: I got in a lot of trouble yesterday because I didn't remember the rules about toys. Now I can't have any friends over until I clean up.
Ty: We have rules. My mom has lots of rules.
Me: (thinking perhaps we should be instituting some of these rules):What rules do you guys have?
Ty: No dumping soda on the floor, and no kicking people in the face.
I guess those are rules we should probably have as well!
Later their conversation turned to what they had brought for show and tell.
Sareny: I brought my springs lightning. That's because I got it in the spring. (This is her shake and go Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen car. Last year her friend Caleb only wanted to play with the Radiator Springs car, so Sareny decided that one was the best.)
For at least a year, Sareny has maintained that she is going to marry her friend Zander. If you suggest she might change her mind later, she gets pretty huffy and says, "I already decided, and I'm marrying Zander!" Today I asked her if Zander liked another little girl they know. She said, "He loves me mucher than her! And we came out our mom's tummies, and we love each other and that's why we're trying to get married. We're bestest friends." This is all stated with quite an attitude.
I was slightly encouraged the other day after preschool, however, when she said "Mom, don't tell Daddy I love Jonathon." She still plans to marry Zander, but at least now she is willing to look at her other options, just in case things don't work out!

12 comments:

holli jo said...

Sareny's comments about her and Zander getting married are sooo cute! And she still seems obsessed with people coming out of their mom's tummies.

Jolynn said...

Well I'd say the mascara incident could have been way worse. Maybe the teacher didn't notice! And I'll bet Zander does love her mucher! How could he not! I agree with Holl Jo about her obsession with the birth thing. What is the "dill"? hehehe.

cassidy said...

I, for one, am impressed with Sareny's mascara skills. She didn't smear it all over her face, and used a tasteful amount. She says the funniest things, and I can just hear her saying everything so matter-of-factly.

cassidy said...

Oh wait, I looked at the picture and saw the big smear below her eye, haha!

Anonymous said...

Nice, I am impressed with her ability to put on mascara. That is not easy.

Vicki said...

She's a girl who knows what she wants!

Lexi said...

sareny is just too funny. i cant wait to see her next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hillari, You have made me so happy that was sooooooo funny. I am still laughing inside! Sereny is so funny. She is so smart.

Summer said...

Wow! She's pretty good at putting on Mascara! She doesn't even have a big black eye from smearing it!

Summer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alayna said...

Too funny! I love Ty's family rules about not kicking people in the face. That one cracked me up!
Zander is in love with Sareny too, but he likes to look at all his options. He was trying to decide who to stand by for the Primary program. He asked - "Mom can I stand next to Sareny AND Brooklyn and Ashlyn too?"
But, I'm sure he loves Sareny mucher than the rest!

Téa said...

The sad on cue pic cracks me up! I love how well I can hear Sareny saying any of these things as I'm reading.