Thursday, December 4, 2008

Where, oh where have my spoons gone?

I love our silverware. (or flatware, as Keith would say, pointing out that they are not actually made from silver.) Our service for 12 was a wedding/Christmas present from Keith's older sister, and it has served us well. I even have fond memories of us picking the pattern out at the store with Heather and then going out to lunch afterwards and eating Monte Crisco sandwiches. Lately, however, we have noticed a problem with our utensils--we always seem to run out of spoons. (See photographic evidence below.)

We've looked online to see if we could buy more, but sadly, our pattern is no longer available. The great mystery of the disapearing spoons was cleared up for me yesterday when I went to tie up our garbage bag. I heard a strange clanking sound somewhere beneath the nasty piles of rubbish and decided I needed to investigate. I found, you guessed it, a spoon. I guess I had already suspected Isaac for some time, since I had previously found a plastic kid's spoon in the trash. Anyway, I guess all this time when he has been being so "helpful" by throwing his yogurt cups away, he just chucks the spoon in as well.
This clears up the great mystery of the disapearing sippy cups as well. Tonight, frustrated at the lack of sippy cups, I announced that I was going to Walmart to buy some more, and that Isaac has probably been throwing those away as well. Sareny said, "Yes, he threw my princess cup in the garbage." With further questioning, she said that she didn't retrieve it because it was covered in something gross.
I'm beginning to feel like one of the rich and famous people who only use things once before replacing them. Minus the rich and famous part.

11 comments:

cassidy said...

Oh my gosh! What a little stinker! Well I guess he didn't really know what he was doing. That was a funny story about Sareny not getting her princess cup out of the garbage! That's too bad about the spoons though.

Unknown said...

Have you checked on EBay? They have a huge amount of listings for stainless flatware, maybe someone is selling your pattern.
Also DI and Goodwill sometimes have loose flatware, you might find some spoons there that match.

Jolynn said...

I like your silverware (I insist on calling it that no matter what Keith says)and it's kind of sad that you can't replace it. But it will always be a good story to tell on Isaac! He was just trying to be so helpful........

Lexi said...

that is kind of funny that isaac has been throwing them away. but sad for you. too bad you cant replace them

Gardner Family said...

As I started to read the first few sentences of this post, my first thought was "THE GARBAGE!!! THEY ARE IN THE GARBA..!!!" Then you finished my thought for me. That's sad. I hope you can find some replacements.

And tell Keith that I even call plastic spoons and forks "silverware". I know it sounds stupid the minute it leaves my mouth but I just can't seem to stop.

linds said...

i love this, at least isaac was trying to be helpful, that is more than isabella will do.

John R. said...

So, Keith must really get irked when certain brands at the store call what they sell "Plastic Silverware."

I know I do. :)

Vicki said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the same thing has been happening to me. In fact, I just got some new stuff last year for Christmas and I'm already missing a few.

Krystal said...

have you seen those zoo pals plastic silverware? they are sturdy enough to wash over and over but they are disposable.

Dot said...

We buy the Take 'n Toss plastic silverware for Joben for this very reason! LOL. They are dishwasher safe, can be used over and over again, but are very inexpensive to replace when they end up in the trash instead of the sink. We have had to replace some of Joben's plastic plates and bowls too though, as they will end up in the garbage on occasion. I stopped buying expensive sippy cups too. When they are gone, they are gone. I now get the apple juice in the re-usable dishwasher safe sports bottle sippys. Again can be used lots, but inexpensive to replace when they end up in the trash...

Isn't it wonderful how helpful kids are sometimes?

Maylene said...

I never experienced this with Sydney, but Sophie for some reason is quite enchanted with the garbage. She loves to put things in there when I'm not looking. I feel your pain.