Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kindergarten Field Trip

On Friday, April 2nd, I was lucky enough to be chosen as a chaperone for Sareny's class field trip to the Wildlife World Zoo. Her class only does one field trip per year, so this was kind of a big deal. As soon as I saw the note from her teacher asking for volunteers, I zipped off an email volunteering. The next day she sent home a note saying 9 people had responded, and they could only take the first five. I was pretty glad to be one of the lucky 5!
The kids were pretty excited to be on a school bus--this was a first for most of them. That may sound odd, considering that they are all in kindergarten, but the vast majority of students at this school are driven to school by parents.
















This zoo has changed a lot in the few years since I'd been there last. They now have three buildings housing aquariums, and have penguins and an indoor sting ray petting pool.
















We were the pink group, and I was in charge of 5 giggling girls! Left to right, Jaiden, Maddie, Sareny, Miranda, and Lisa.
















I was glad that two of the girls' dads joined up with our group at the zoo. They each also brought a younger sibling along.

































Sareny loved helping the little girls!

I love the giraffe feeding platform they have. It's pretty cool.
















Several of the girls were really excited to see the zebras, and asked every few minutes if we were almost there yet. It was kind of funny when the five zebras all turned their backs on us.
















I really like the white tigers they have here. This is in front of their area.
















The ducks weren't very hungry, but the girls had fun feeding them anyway.
















The day went by too fast! Soon we were headed back to the school. I think all the adults were sufficiently worn out, and a few kids fell asleep on the bus as well. Anyway, we had a really fun time with our little group of girls!

5 comments:

Lexi said...

that looks like a fun field trip. lucky that you were one of the five to go. sareny and her friends are cute.

cassidy said...

How fun! I'm glad you got to go, it would have been too bad to miss the one field trip! That zoo looks pretty cool...more interactive than most.

Jolynn said...

What a fun field trip! I love the zoo. Can you believe I never even got to go to a zoo growing up? Deprived!

Vicki said...

Field trips are fun, I love going when I can. Looks like a fun zoo!

Myrna Foster said...

That looks like so much fun! I love chaperoning field trips, but it's hard sometimes with little ones.