Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hawaii, day seven

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. day, so we were glad to have James available to spend the day with us. We hiked to the Makapu'u lighthouse in the morning. This hike was rather deserty, and I thought it was strange to see cacti in Hawaii--I just didn't know they had any deserts there. Here is the lighthouse, and you can see some cacti in the picture.
We had nice views of a pretty beach that we went swimming at after the hike. 
Here is a view of the lighthouse from the top of the peak.
Us at the top. You'll just have to ignore my crazy hair. If I lived in Hawaii, I would always have crazy hair. I think I look like Roger the Shrubber from Monty Python in this picture, but oh well.
Keith and James hiked up to some barracks that were up a very steep hill, while Cass and I started back down with Truman. Tru kept finding large rocks that he wanted to take back down the mountain with him.
Then we went swimming at Waimanalo beach. The waves here were crazy! They were humungous and broke right on the beach. I was totally being thrashed around in the water. It was fun, but took a lot of energy to avoid being thrown around with each wave.
Truman had fun playing in the sand.
That evening we ate at Cheeseburger Waikiki, where Aloha is served daily. The food was pretty tasty and the atmosphere was fun. As you can see from the below photo, I decided to embrace my inner wild wahine and just sport hair au natural. It's really the only look you can achieve in Hawaii.
We had such a fun day!

3 comments:

cassidy said...

Well your wild wahine hair looks WAY better than mine when I don't straighten it. That's one thing I hate about the Hawaii humidity!

Jolynn said...

I agree with crazy hair being the only look you can acheive in Hawaii. I just can't be at the beach all day and still look good to go out to dinner! I don't think your's looks that bad though. Longer hair is a little easier, in my opinion. I'm so jealous that you are getting caught up on blogging!!!!

Lexi said...

im pretty sure my hair was in a pony/bun/braid everyday i was in hawaii. its no good having curly hair in the humidity. it is kind of weird that the makapu'u hike is such a desert. i want some aloha served from cheeseburger waikiki!